Monday 25 April 2005

Oops.

When I found out one of my friends was having a baby, I got all excited, and my first thought was:
KNIT!! Imagine all the baby clothes I can knit!! Ooooh! I don't really like babies, but I LOVE knitting!

So I got out some wool I had been saving for a hat for myself, and started knitting a hat for little Sparky:


I started with the Umbilical Hat from Stitch 'n' Bitch and I'm going to turn it into something similar to the Apple Hat [link defunct] from Knitting about. It'll probably end up being some kind of giant grape.
I've never used variegated wool before, but I'm really liking it.


But then, on the way to work yesterday afternoon, I had an urge to knit stronger than I've ever had before. It was so strong that I veered uncontrollably into Clegs as I was walking down the street. I couldn't help it. I knew I'd be late for work, but I just couldn't stop myself. Not only did I buy a pattern book and the wool, but I bought some needles too. I decided to make the Baby Hoodie in blue. This is how much I've done since last night:


There have already been various jokes, e.g. "Here's a picture of the baby I'm making!" (I had a couple of drinks last night, okay?)

The problem is, I've over-subscribed. I've got to finish the Top Secret Project (75%) by Saturday, and I have my Lacy Scarf (25%) to do, not to mention my cardigan and all the other stuff.
At least Sparky's things don't have to be ready for another 6 months. But they're the ones I want to work on right now!

I'm relating to this blog [link defunct] right now, which speculates on why people are so obsessed with knitting. I'm especially relating to the escapism bit. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment