Monday 3 March 2008

Writing my guts out

I've been so busy the last few weeks that I haven't had time to post. It's taken me a while to finish anything anyway, so there hasn't been anything to see. I made some random poetry postcards for a swap which I won't go into right now (I'm not really happy with them). But finally I can show you my new obsession! (Which I'm starting to get over now anyway, but anyway...)

I've been interested in zines for a while, and recently I've spent an indecent amount of money on them (supporting independent artists and that stuff), and finally got up the guts to go to Sticky when it was actually open. (I don't know what I was afraid of, the woman there was really friendly and I didn't feel too dorky.) Now, I've finally bit the bullet and made one of my own! Two actually. They were both made for swaps on Swap-bot. I was having trouble coming up with a topic (they can be about anything - that's scary!), so I figured they could provide me with the ideas I needed to start off. The first one was 'zine your festival', and I came up with this:


It's much bigger and more colourful and more 'printed' than was required, but it was a combination of not reading the instructions properly and getting a bit excited. I spent hours in the library researching (my favourite kind of geekery) and attended the festival and took my own photos. If you're gonna do something, you may as well do it right, right?
So far in return I've gotten this one:


Which is completely amazing! It's well-drawn, informative and funny. And it came with accessories! I love it so much!

The second one I made was to be a hand-drawn mini zine about any topic you like (*gulps*). But then I got inspiration while I was in the library researching the first one:


It's called 'Where Am I? Who Am I?' (the library; and a librarian???). It's equal parts immature angst, anarchist anti-wage-slave rant and random acts of kindness story. I also started making another zine, based on a recurring theme in my life. I've done a mock-up of the text and layout. Now I just have to draw the damned thing! I bought a nice fabric-covered folder with a black ribbon tie to keep my zines in. And I put it away cause I'm sick of them now.

I've gone back to my roots for now. Kickin' it old skool. I put away the Sharpie and got out my crochet hook again. I'm making a scarf that I've had in mind for a long time. I saw a girl on the tram wearing a crocheted scarf with long drop-stitch type inserts between the rows of crochet, and I wanted to try and imitate it. After a false start where I realised that the long bits weren't attached at the back, I got the hang of it.

The scarf watching one of my favourite shows with me.

Because of what show I was watching when I started it, as well as the extreme femininity of the sparkly pink wool, I had to call it the 'Girls Like Mythbusters Too' Scarf.

Tired now.

No comments:

Post a Comment