Thursday 4 April 2019

My March

March was still quite hot at the beginning, but Autumn finally started to kick in towards the end. I've been waiting for the leaves to turn, and they finally have. It's been cool enough to start using the oven again, and cook some hearty meals.

What I've been growing ...
I grew potatoes, which was quite exciting. I was going to write a separate post about this a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find the photos from the beginning of the process -- letting the 'eyes' grow on the potatoes and planting them. It didn't feel complete without them, but I didn't want to go with not mentioning it at all. Here are my 4 potato plants at the nearly-ready-for-digging-up stage:


Here is my harvest. I planted 4 full-size potatoes, and put together I'd say these babies equal about the same. All it cost me was half a bag of compost and a couple of handfuls of straw. I didn't pay enough attention to regularly adding more compost and letting the plants grow taller (and therefore grow more spuds underground). I'll remember that for next year.



What I've been cooking ...
Husband and I re-watched the Harry Potter movies, and on the spur of the moment we decided to have a Harry Potter feast day. For breakfast we had a cooked breakfast with sausages, eggs and mushrooms:


We were so full from breakfast that we weren't hungry for lunch (which was going to be Mrs. Weasley's corned beef sandwiches). I was also going to make pumpkin pasties and treacle tart, but we wouldn't have been able to eat them! So we skipped straight to dinner: a roast beef and veggies complete with Yorkshire pudding and gravy!:


I had some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans from a trip to the Shop of Requirement (see my post on my first visit there here!), and it was time to try them! Yes, they really are every flavour! I wrote about them a bit more on my Instagram.


Finally, some less scary desserts. Muggle versions of chocolate wands (chocolate liquorice logs), (non)jumping chocolate frogs, and ordinary-flavoured jelly beans:


What I've been potting ...
I love re-potting plants. It's one of my favourite activities. I went to the local nursery and splashed out on lots and lots of pots, and a couple of new plant friends. Then I had some mammoth re-potting sessions. I'm still not done yet though. I had a wealth of cuttings from my fuchsia and succulents to pot up, and I'm still not done yet. I've been trying to re-use materials more -- such as bits from a disposable coffee cup to line the bottom of the pots.




What I've been making ...
I started a new craft project but I can't reveal anything about it yet as it's a gift for a friend. So you'll have to wait until next month to find out what it is!

Selections from Instagram
The place where I'm working isn't that picturesque, but I did find this stunning display of Autumn leaves a few days ago:


Sharick 'helping' me to fold my clothes:

No comments:

Post a Comment