Saturday 12 June 2004

Knitting technique

Ooh la la! I have just found out that I knit in the Eastern European Style, that is, inserting the right needle into the back of the loop at the beginning of a garter stitch. Those people who I've seen knitting 'funny', and inserting the needle into the front of the loop, are actually knitting in the Western European Style.

That's why I've been getting confused when I see instructions saying "K1 TBL", i.e. "knit one through the back of the loop", because that's the way I do it all the time! I hope that doesn't mean that some of the stitches I've been trying out won't work...
Knitting with the wool held in the right hand is the British/American way, apparently, while knitting with the wool in the left hand is the Continental way (I've never seen anyone do this - does it come with croissants and a latte?)
I've read that when working with two colours, some people can hold one thread in each hand!

Cool knitting blogs I found:
Knitting Goddess #9 [link defunct]
Nake-id knits (it has a chihuahua!!) [link defunct]

Here's a photo of what I bought at the Salvos in Balwyn today:


There wasn't any wool, disappointingly, but I got:
* 3 pairs of knitting needles
* a couple of old dress patterns (which I collect also, nothing after c.1980 usually)
* a cookbook and a craft book (I think the latter is part of an encyclopaedia, because it only has crafts starting with A and B!)
* a thing which at first I thought was an orange juicer (it had drain holes in the top) but it's labelled 'Dripping'. I only got it out of a sense of horrid fascination
* an unbelievably kitschy money box shaped like a pub

No comments:

Post a Comment