Monday 14 June 2004

Scarf Progress

Okay, stand down panic stations! The situation with the gift is not as bad as I thought. In fact, when I uncoiled it at work the other day, it seemed almost long enough. I've started working on it again after 3 weeks rest, and it should be finished by the weekend. I just hate sewing in the loose ends, and this scarf has quite a few. Well, about 10. I guess that's not too bad!


Wool: Navy Blue Patons Fireside (100% wool), and Sky Blue Caressa, which has a slightly fuzzy texture.
Needles: 8 mm.
Pattern: Just yer normal garter stitch scarf. The variegated effect is produced by holding the light blue wool together with the dark blue on every third row only. I made it up myself because I thought normal stripes would be a bit boring and un-subtle. I really like the way it looks.

Seeing as how I wasn't working on my scarf for 3 weeks, you may ask what I've been doing in the meantime?



Well, I decided I wanted to try out some stitch patterns. I borrowed a book from the library called The Complete Stitch Directory with hundreds, from really simple all-over fabric patterns, to elaborate panels, cables and picture effects. I had the idea of doing various 'samples' and just picking up stitches down the side of one randomly to add another one on, to create a bedspread.

After I'd been working on it for a while, I realised I wouldn't be able to make something that large in one go. There'd be way too many stitches on the needles, and I wouldn't be able to see the patterns forming and see if I was making a mistake. Plus the additions were getting thinner and wider as I went on. So I decided to end that patch and start on another one.

Patch No. 2 at left; Patch No. 1 at right

My Grand Plan (TM) is to make a bedspread with no sewing whatsoever. I hate sewing!!! I will use surface crochet to attach the patches together, and add a crochet edging all around. I'm not sure how I'll even up all the patch sizes yet, but that shouldn't be too hard. I have no idea what I'll do with all the little tails though.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment