Sunday 2 May 2010

Finished!!

Well, bless my sodden aunt! I've finished an art journal page!

I don't really want to make too much of a fanfare over it because, quite frankly, it's not really that good. But it's finished, and that's what's giving me the sense of achievement. It was one of the Perennially Unfinished pages I featured a few posts ago. (It's the fourth picture down, if you're clicking.)

Here it is in finished style:

The Drabble. Acrylic paints, felt tip pens, gel pen, chalk pen, deco tape, masking tape, scrap cardboard, lolly wrapper, words.

Since we last saw it, I painted some white and black egg shapes on it using the pre-cut holes in Easter egg packaging as a template (serendipity right there!). I took to it with some sandpaper to give it a more aged, grungy look. You can see that best right next to the spine on the left page. I stencilled on the word 'art' using a stencil I made from masking tape a la Karen Michel's book. Then I went at it with my beloved Sakura Gelly Roll pens, creating borders, filling in the eggs with doodles and and generally just having fun. I could have added more, but then I decided to stop and declare it finished.

To me this is a transitionary page. (Is that a word? Well, it is now!) I can see myself evolving in it. It wasn't planned, the composition is pretty wonky, the background colours are ones I wouldn't' normally use, the text I wrote myself and the stencil and doodle elements are new for me. I did some crazy stuff on it that I didn't think would work - but it's turned out quite well. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment