Monday 31 March 2008

What I Did at Easter

Yeah, I know, I'm a bit late on this one. I've been busy, OK?

Here we go...
I was so happy with the first mouse I made, that I tried it again with Maus II:

ze front

ze back

The embellishments are orange wool instead of red, but basically he's the same. I'm not quite as happy with the overall shape, but meh, he's good enough.
I also finished the zine I've been making. It was quite the epic production. All will be revealed when I can get some proper paper to print it out!

Also, I've been obsessed with kokeshi dolls at the moment. These are Japanese dolls traditionally made of wood, with a rounded head and cylindrical body. The bodies are painted with either floral or striped designs. One of their distinguishing features is that they have no arms and legs. Kokeshi dolls were probably originally used as massagers in the hot springs area of Japan from which they originate. Other theories include that they were teething toys for babies, or that they were sentimental keepsakes for parents who had been forced to sell or abandon their babies. Kokeshis seem to be the source of quite deep sentiment - artisans name each doll and sign it on the base.


Ok, essay mode off now.

It got me to thinking though. Firstly, they're so cute!!!
Secondly, they have no arms and legs! Perfect! The one thing that was putting me off churning out hundreds of amigurumi was sewing all those bloody arms and legs on!
Thirdly, they're embellished with cute little flowers etc on their bodies. This appeals to my need to sew buttons and sequins on stuff right now.

Kokeshi are me! It's a revelation!

My first Kokeshi. Her name is Chihiro.
Here's the top of her head with her hair clip.
Here is her base; I embroidered my signature here.

At first I was disturbed by the fact that she had no hair. Then I got over it. Also, her head is almost freakishly large. But, you know what? Who cares! I love her! I'm really quite proud of her.
I've started a second one, which has a flower theme. I love her too!

No comments:

Post a Comment