Monday 21 April 2008

Weekend jaunt

On Saturday, Boy was working so I had 8 hours to fill in.

I went to the National Gallery and saw the Black in Fashion exhibition. Radically cool. The earliest pieces in the collection were from the early 19th century, when black was only worn for mourning, through to the 1980s when it was used by Japanese designers as an antidote to prevailing fashions. I would have liked to have found out more about earlier times, but I guess the exhibition was limited by what items it could get a hold of. It had a really cool soundtrack featuring Ladytron, Depeche Mode and a lounge-y cover of Soundgarden among others that I can't remember. It left me thinking, whoever designed this exhibition needs to do more! I'm coveting the catalogue; hopefully it'll go on sale when the exhibition finishes. Then again, it was a good enough exhibition that I might fork out.

I also went to MagNation and bought my first ever issue of frankie magazine. I felt so cool and rockin'! It has so many giveaways and came with a free art poster. (Which looks suspiciously like something I've seen on Etsy. In a good way). I'm really enjoying it. I might subscribe.

I also started working on a new zine for a swap on Swap-Bot. It's one that I'd thought of and wrote a few notes for a while back. It's a sort-of autobiographical account of my struggles with being a wage slave, the bizarre jobs that I've had and how I came to be where I am today. I don't know if anyone else will find it interesting, but they'll just have to suffer in their jocks, won't they? It's due on 1st May, and I'm pretty sure I'll have it done with the extra time I'll have on Friday. (Public holidays, yyeeeeessssss!)

New obsession time:
Also, I've decided that I want a Wunderkammer, or Cabinet of Curiosities. I really don't know how, or why, or where I'm going to put it. But I really want one.


No comments:

Post a Comment