Saturday 31 May 2008

Doing what I can

I haven't got much done lately, with being sick and sore and stressed and grumpy. I've started making the scarf that I've been asked to make by my friend (the word 'commission' is still pretty scary) and it's about 1/3 done. I have a slight lack-of-fluffiness issue, but that can easily be solved with a quick trip to Spotlight or Lincraft. I'm getting a bit bored with crochet though. My last 3 fibre projects have been crocheted, as well as my toys. I think that when I've finished the last scarf and the cat blanket, I'll try and do some knitting for a while. I have some large knitted swatches that I didn't know what to do with, and I think I can make them the bases for some log-cabin style cat blankets, or perhaps sew them together (though the sewing needle is the devil, remember). Meanwhile, I dig through my stash for purple and pink yarn. I actually enjoy that. The colours, the fondling.... mmmmmm!

Today I went to the Magnolia Square craft market at the Malvern Town Hall. Don't get too excited - it was the last day. I cleverly implemented an extreme money-saving strategy of forgetting to bring my eftpos and credit cards, or any cash. $&%@*(#&%(!!! But as it turned out, there was a lot to see and not much to do. (Or buy). There were a few pretty, shabby chic, cutesy things there, but it was pretty obviously geared towards the yummy mummy, Toorak tractor, power-pram-wielding set. I did see some naive paintings and stuffies that were cool, the sorts of things that I aspire to make. By far the best part was seeing the stall of The Lark and 3 Buttons and meeting Lark, who I recognise from blog-land. (Well, her crafty stuff, anyway!) I instantly went from feeling creatively and entrepeneurially inadequate, not to mention dumb for leaving all my money at home, to feeling connected and validated. We talked about blogging and stuff and she asked my handle and said she'd heard of my blog! I was pretty much dumbfounded. Wow! She gave me a tip off about a new market - Sisters Market in Brunswick. Thank you! And thanks for the chat, too.

The second best part was having chilli pork bento boxes at Kim Chi Bowl (the lovely, wonderful Boy paid) and then ice creams from Cold Rock. Then we went home for a nanna nap.
What a lovely afternoon!

Later, I took my newest Swirly Series ACEOs out of the flower press, and they're as flat as they're gonna get. So I chose 4 to put on my shop. I'm up to 35 items already! Huh, easy! I'm loving this making things in batches stuff.

I'll leave you with my very first Flickr Mosaic! I searched the 'softies' tag to find these pics. Unfortunately the mosaic came out unbelievably large, and some resolution was lost in the reducing. Still pretty cute though.


Photo Credits:
1. plushies-make me a cat swap, 2. Day 3 - Mario Felt Plushies, 3. plushies, 4. plushies, 5. plushies all in a pile, 6. Pac Man Ghost plushies, 7. plushies added to our shop!, 8. kitten plushies, 9. More plushies!!, 10. Lined up plushies, 11. lamb plushies, 12. Day Out plushies, 13. Tofu Plushies, 14. . plushies, 15. Pikmin plushies, 16. Robot Parade 14: GAIENT BOT

Now off to work crochet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment