Thursday 5 November 2015

My October

It's Spring!
This time of year is when the garden really starts to come to life again. There's something new and different to observe every single day, and I'm learning so much. Plum saplings don't take well to being dug up and put in a pot. The Christmas cactus looks wilted just after it finishes flowering, but it soon recovers.

The warmer weather also gets me excited for another reason -- the festive season is just around the corner. I don't officially celebrate Christmas, but in the last few years I haven't been able to resist the things I used to love as a child. The Christmas tree, pastries and sweets, and special meals with friends. Then of course it seems like just a millisecond until New Year, which is an important occasion for me.

I've also been motivated to get a good head-start in my 101 Things in 1,001 Days list by watching lots of movies, pampering myself, and eating a lot.

What I've been cooking ...
My interest in cooking different things has surfaced again. I wanted to make a salad from a recipe I found in a magazine, but by the time I got home from the supermarket, I realised I'd only bought 2 of the ingredients I needed! So I just threw in whatever I had in the house, Husband made the dressing (he's good at mixing flavours) and it turned out very well. I made it at the start of the month, so I can't remember now what's in it aside from what can be seen in the photo.


A few weeks later, I had a craving for pesto, so I made this fettucine with bacon, mushrooms and basil pesto. Very satisfying.


Last but not least, it was Husband's birthday towards the end of the month. Making him a decorated cake for his birthday every year is on my list of Thing, so I asked him what he wanted. He said, "a doughnut cake with mini cupcakes in the hole!" He was joking, but what my man wants, he gets, so here it is:


What I've been working on ...
I've started crocheting a little bit again. I lost my crocheting mojo for quite a few months. I've been having issues with my eczema, which is on my hand and makes it uncomfortable to work with fibre, but it's clearing up now. I finished off one square for my Grannyland blanket and started another one:


What I've been sorting ...
I finally got around to making a space for my special things. Many of my treasures are still packed, but at least there's a nice place now to put the ones I have found so far. I've been having fun thinking of ways to improve it. This shelf is right next to my bed, so I can see it every morning and every night.


What else I've been doing ...

celebrated the Marimo festival ~ wrote some haiku ~ chose a puzzle book to work on ~ wrote a doll clothes review ~ watched 3 movies on Asian Pop Weekend ~ bought more pathtags ~ did some practice drawings ~ took some photos ~ worked on my conscript ~ wrote a reflective piece ~ bought watercolour paper and more canvases ~ gardened (not much) ~ posted my Exploding Kittens review ~ subscribed to some new blogs ~ picked oranges ~ dyed my hair ~ went to the Big Bang concert ~ went to a new restaurant ~ napped (several times!) ~ created some new Pinterest boards ~ got a massage ~ decided on my NaNoWriMo theme ~ went to PAX; bought 5 games

No comments:

Post a Comment