Thursday 10 November 2016

6 Comforting Things to Do



I'm sure that many of us are feeling troubled right now. It's especially difficult if you are the kind of person who feels the emotions of others, even just a little. My first instinct at the moment is to go back to basics -- focus on what's most important to me and the core things I believe in. It's hard to do that though, when so many unsettling things are happening right now. So I thought I'd write this post to help in some small way.

1. Go for a walk in the fresh air, or do yoga or stretching. Gentle movement will help to relax the mind as well as the body. It may help you to sleep better as well. When I go for a walk, I like to look out for the little things along the way, like a bright flower or the ripples of light on the water.

2. Connect with your loved ones. Talking about your worries can help you feel much better. Or perhaps you might prefer to avoid the issues and talk about light-hearted things. Whichever you choose to talk about, knowing your loved ones are there is very important for your well-being.

3. Read some favourite books from your childhood. Try to remember the happy feelings that you felt the first time you read them. Or try reading some new books.

4. Play with toys. Just like reading childhood books, playing with toys can take you back to a time that was more innocent. Choose toys that you played with as a child, or ones that involve making up stories or using your imagination.

5. Be creative. Work on your hobbies. Whether it be writing, painting, gardening, etc., return to the hobbies that you find relaxing. Perhaps try a new one that you have wanted to try for a while. The process of learning something new may help you to take your mind off things.

6. Check that you're prepared. When I'm feeling worried about the state of the world, it makes me feel better to check on practical things. For example -- review my savings plan, make sure I have things I need in my backpack, arrange a place to meet with Husband in case of an emergency, etc. Once these practical things are in place, then I have a bit more peace of mind.

I hope some of these suggestions help, and if you are worried about the world at the moment, know that you're not alone.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely, thoughtful post, and I thank you for it <3 Point 6 is especially good, and I think I'm going to try saving a bit more money from this month forward...

    One of my favourite things to do at times like these is also to create a sort of comforting nook with aromatherapy, candles, soft cushions and so on and to just cuddle down with a cup of my favourite tea and something comforting, like a favourite book, or my wedding album. Writing this makes me wish so hard that I had a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I just typed it up very spontaneously during a break at work (that's why there are no pictures). But I felt like I had to do some tiny thing to bring things back to centre.
    I love the idea of a nook with lots of comforting things - I'll definitely do that!

    ReplyDelete