Sunday 12 May 2019

Preparing for My Exhibition

After the sadness of my last post I haven't felt like communicating much. But life went on. I had an exhibition to prepare for!


I finished the blanket over a week ago. That was the easy part. I've been crocheting for 30 years and I know how to do that. Everything that came after it was new, and I was nervous! The first thing I did was create some postcards. I really like the idea that people have something they can take away with them, like a small gift. Instead of a normal flier, I made up postcards that are a little more durable, so people can use them as a bookmark, hang them up on the fridge, or whatever they wish.


Sharick seems to approve -- he kept trying to sit on them!

Designing the postcards was easy, and taking photos of the blanket was much easier than I thought it would be. I have to thank my photographer friend for his advice there. The text was much harder. I needed to summarise my ideas in a few short sentences, in a way that would make sense to other people. I've lived with this project for over a year, and I know it inside out. I was worried that I was too close to it to be able to explain it to a newcomer. I took some advice normally given to writers, and slept on it (and also did a spell, but that's a story for another post!). The next day I re-wrote it completely and I was happy with it. I ordered the cards and they came on time.

Then I needed an idea of what the space would look like. I already knew that I wanted some signs and accompanying materials that would explain what I was trying to achieve. To be honest, I just kind of bashed something out, as it's hard to know what everything is going to look like and exactly how much space there'll be.


I know the blanket will be in the centre and it will be very wide, so I printed two copies of each sign so one copy can go on each side. Then I don't have to worry that people will miss out on seeing all the signs. There's one with the title of the exhibition, a sign explaining what it's about, a mock invoice that shows what you'd pay for the blanket if you really wanted to pay a fair hourly rate, and just for fun, a 'Crafter's Resume'. Aside from being fun, I'd like to think that people might consider craft work in comparison with office work. I'm also including some photos of the blanket in progress to give it a more personal feel and to prove that I really made the whole thing!


I printed out the larger (A3-size) signs at my local big-box stationery store as my home printer doesn't print larger than A4. The process was surprisingly smooth -- I just emailed the files to their email address and received a code in return. At the shop, I got a pay card, entered in the code and it was done! I bought a folio so I can carry the papers around and keep them safe. It's pretty boring (the cool one was too expensive) but I'll decorate it when I have time.



Install day is tomorrow, so I needed to pack everything! I checked the blanket one more time and folded it up. Sharick very kindly helped me with this. He always looks grumpy in photos but he was actually purring away madly and seemed to be having a lovely time.



I popped everything in a bag and put it by the front door ready to take to the gallery tomorrow. Voila! An exhibition in a bag!


What Is This Handmade Blanket Really Worth? is on at NOIR Darkroom 13th - 26th May 2019.
57 Moreland Road, Coburg. Open Wed-Sun until 6pm. My blanket is in the front window so you'll be able to see it 24 hours a day! There will also be a rad zine exhibition on in the main gallery at the same time. I can't wait to see it and I hope you'll check it out.

P.S. This is actually my first solo exhibition! I can hardly believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment