Tuesday 21 June 2005

Not another scarf!

I finished the Purp Scarf! Yes!


I used the same technique I used for the scarf I made for my friend James, i.e. just basic garter stitch with an added strand of the contrast colour on every third row. I thought it would look good in light colours, with a creamy colour and a pastel. At first I was thinking shades of blue to look like the ocean, but you have to work with what you can get, right? Plus it was on sale, so you can't complain.

I wanted to do something a bit different and knit it 'sideways', but I knew I'd have to use circular needles for that. I was pretty daunted because I've tried to use them once before, and they were hellish! But I used the trick of steaming the plastic parts of the needles to straighten them, because they're all bent from being folded up and squashed into the packet they came in. It didn't take long to get used to them after that. Once I actually got on with it, it was really quite quick to make.

The only thing is: the scarf doesn't wear very well. It's too bulky to fit around my neck properly without feeling like I'm drowning in a sea of wool!

No comments:

Post a Comment