Monday 5 November 2007

A whole lotta thinking

THINGS I HAVE LOST
- my nephew
- my job


THINGS I HAVE GAINED
- freedom
- determination
- about 15kgs*


Still trying to figure out if it balances...

Everything got put on hold for a while - a few things happened that needed all my attention, and I had to make a few decisions. Even knitting just didn't seem the right thing to do to calm me down and help me think. Some things were way more important - like comforting my family after the premature birth of our AJ. Other things seemed an unimportant 'no-brainer' decision - like weighing up whether to keep putting up with the stresses of my job, or quit and face uncertainty, but also freedom to follow my goals.

I knew this was the right decision the day after I handed in my resignation letter, when I realised that I'd spent the whole evening drawing and painting, and I'd slept better than I have in about 6 months. My boyfriend had to wake me up! Whereas normally I would wake up at about 5.30am and just lie there with my eyes shut for a couple of hours, trying not to think about work.

Yeah, I know, I used the 'G' word up there - scary huh? Just a few years ago, "goals" was a dirty word to me. Who had time to think about the future? I spent all my time doing as little work as possible and trying to be content with having as little money as possible. :)
I always had goals, really, I just told myself they were 'things I wanted to do one day'. Over time, as I got more confidence, they slowly started turning into, 'things I'm going to do one day', and then 'things I'm going to do soon'.

Anyhoo, the upshot of all this is that I'm going to open an online shop on Etsy. Now, I know that when I read a blog, and they wang on all the time about their online shop and try and get you to buy stuff from it, it's unbelievably boring and just makes you want to never read it again. So I'm going to try and keep that to a minimum. Perhaps I'll put it in a separate section at the bottom of my posts so you can just click off it if your eyes start to glaze over.

I did start making a little thing last night however:


It's an iPod cozy! I just got some cotton out and started working away with not much plan. I'm thinking I might embroider it with some yellow flowers or something once it's done. Only one snag however - before I got a chance to finish it, I broke my crochet hook!!
Guess I don't know my own strength! Before you start thinking I have superpowers all of a sudden, it was actually a bamboo one, not metal. I now have a new rule for the purchase of crafting tools though -

CRAFTING RULE #239:
Don't buy any bamboo tools unless they are thicker than your little finger.
Otherwise - SNAP!




* that's 15kgs I've gained since the start of the year, not since my last post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment