Tuesday 19 February 2008

Art Journal


See a larger picture here.

Here is my art journal entry for this week. (Well, for this month, as it's turning out.) All I've been wanting to do is read lately. At first this worried me, because I was only taking things in, not putting anything out. But then I thought, why can't I make art on this theme? So the theme is Reading and Writing.

(Please note that one edge is cut off in this scan!)

The bottom layer is a rough draft of a book review I wrote for a zine I'm making. Over it I painted a green rectangle. This represents The Book, with the colour being that of many older, hardcover books. Over the top I have stuck a text that I wrote in a spiral. The subject expresses some anxieties I feel about both reading and writing. It came straight off the top of my head and as I wrote it from outside in, I didn't know how long it could be. I also didn't have the chance to cross anything out and start over. So it's probably not as good as it could be, literary-wise. But it felt good to write. The red dots are scraps that I collected from work and stuck at random over the top. Dunno why. I felt it needed some colour.

I had the whole layout of this page designed in my head at least a week before I started, unlike any of my other pages. In some ways this was good, as it cut out the 'fear of the blank page' and 'what do I do now??' factors. But on the other hand it felt a little sterile. I'm not sure which way I prefer.

I've been wanting to draw lately. Today I was in a meeting, and I had a strong urge to draw my manager's nose. Yesterday I really wanted to draw the plant on the next desk.

Can you apply for Art Leave??

No comments:

Post a Comment