Monday 4 February 2008

The Tumbleweeds Are Tumbling....

I know the three of you who read my blog have been waiting with baited breath to read my next post. Sorry to disappoint! I still haven't made anything. Why? I won't wang on about my personal problems at you (that's what Boy is for!), but I have been feeling Bler and Schner for various reasons. And that affects my creativity.

I did manage to toss off a painting in Chinese ink last week:


It's a pretty standard scene of the type of thing I used to do years ago. I'm either returning to my roots, or doing the artistic equivalent of assuming the foetal position. Not sure. I made a second one of a tree, but I didn't like it as much. My paintings are much better when I do them from life, not from my head. Or perhaps I'd lost my mojo after the first one.

I have also been researching the zine I'm writing for a Swap-bot swap. I'd been meaning to write my first zine for a while, but it turns out for once having a deadline is making me work for it instead of making me want to beat my head against a wall. All will be revealed. When I can be bothered.

See? Writey stuff!
Then yesterday I went to the Etsy Sellers' picnic! Remember, that one that I was crapping myself over? I made Boy come along so I didn't pike out. (He's such a lovely boy, he must have been so bored! *hugs*) I felt completely lame and overwhelmed and unworthy. (And lightly crisped, after a few hours in the sun!) But everyone was really lovely! The food was delicious, and the crafts even more so. I got some interesting bits of info, but most importantly, I was stewing in the juices of like-minded people. I'm really not used to that. Don't get me wrong, I just adore my friends, but I can't really talk to them about how to execute a Magic Loop cast-on, or where to get real wool felt from. It's not something I've ever been worried about not having, but it would be nice to be there.

I was still feeling unsettled for some reason last night. I had a chat with Boy about why I haven't sold many items in my shop, and he came up with some reasons that are nothing to do with me that I hadn't thought of which made me feel a bit better. I started making a new toy:

Leggies
I want him to be a bit more symmetrical and less bizarre than the ones I've made before. Nah, not really! I don't want to feel I'm making things to bow to the pressure of a mainstream public. I'm sure there's someone out there who'll love my monsters and give them a good home! And if not, *shrugs* I'll have a house stuffed full of altered wool.* Oh well! It was fun!

Then today, I went to the Melb Craft Maf.. Cartel Market. Wow! So amazing!


Purchases from the market inc. Robot Brooch; cards from the picnic
I spent a lot more money than I was planning to, a lot more quickly! But gawd it was fun! And as I said to Boy, it's OK because I'm supporting local artists. Right? ;)


* Instead of unaltered wool like I have now! heheh
P.S. Sorry for all the Shop content with no warning liberally splattered throughout this one. It gets all mooshy and smooshy sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment