Sunday 20 June 2004

Brontosaurus update

I'm halfway through the first piece of the Brontosaurus - the left side of body and head. I'm using a dark turquoise green wool (Fiesta Double Knitting %100 acrylic, 'Peacock'). Once this and the right side of the body are done, that's the two biggest pieces finished, and it should be much quicker from there. I'm trying not to think about the sewing up process, which I think I've mentioned before I HATE!! I'm already having doubts that I'll finish it all in one go. We'll see!

I've realised it's just another way of putting off making a garment. I'm just too scared to make one! I've read about people who've made many - ones that actually fitted! - and people who made a jumper as their first project, but that still hasn't made me more confident. I've bought/downloaded lots of different patterns, thought through the process of making a vest or a cardigan so many times in my head, and I've meant to start one many times, but I just haven't gotten around to it.

The strangest luck! The other day I went to the local library to photocopy the pattern pages for my Brontosaurus (like a good little knitter) and what should I find in the recycling bin next to the photocopier? An old knitting leaflet! It was c.1970s, very crinkled and well-loved, and for a mohair vest, with 3 versions for different thicknesses of wool. It had a few notes, etc., scrawled on it, but it's all still legible. I looked around, and there was no-one it could have belonged to, so I quickly slipped it in with my papers. Is the universe trying to tell me something??

On a funner note, go to Portrait Illustration Maker to make one of these:


I spent about an hour making this look as much like me as possible. (Those who know me know it doesn't really!)
My flatmate said, "I know an easier way: put a photo of yourself up!"
That's not the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment