Wednesday 6 January 2010

Welcome to 2010!

I read quite a few blogs and news outlets, and all the writers that mentioned New Year have been glad that 2009 is over, been glad that the whole decade is over, as a matter of fact! (I know, I know, the new decade doesn't actually start til next year, but as with anything popular, it's the numbers that count, not the facts.) I don't know all of their personal circumstances, but when I think back on some of the major events of the last decade I can understand why many people want to leave it behind. Being able to say "twenty-ten" instead of "two-thousand and blah-blah" is just the least of it! As for myself, I certainly want to leave 2009 behind and move on!

I learned a lot from the resolutions I set last year. I learned that 'goals' is probably a better word. 'Resolution' seems to have a whiff of failure about it. I learned that the goals should be specific, realistic, tangible and suited to my temperament. Hang on a minute, this sounds a lot like the SMART Goals system I learned in business management class! So that Library Studies course was good for something after all. You may note: I have more goals this year than last year - I guess I was feeling confident.

Here they are as set out in my art journal:


Ooh. That scan is really quite awful, now that I look at it. But you get the gist.
And here they are analysed (cause I like that sort of stuff):

1. Publish 3 zines.
I love writing zines, I really do. Researching and writing is one of my favourite things. It takes a lot of bravery for me to present them to the world, but I think it's good for me. I chose three because it doesn't seem like too overwhelming a goal. Plus I've already written one story two stories, so I'm practically half-way there!

2.Travel overseas.
Pretty much self-explanatory. I have the money, I just need to find the time. Europe is my first choice this time.

3. Do a 10km walk.
New Year's Resolutions like 'lose weight' almost inevitably fail. I enjoy walking and I want to improve my fitness and endurance, so I thought it would be better to aim for a specific fitness goal that encompasses these - and if I lose weight along the way, that would be great!

4. Organise my apartment.
I could do a series of posts and call it 'Apartmentcat's Apartment'! Nah, that sounds wanky. But this year I really want to get things sorted out and have a space I enjoy being in and enjoy inviting others to be in. I already have a general plan of what needs to be done and larger pieces of furniture that need to be bought, so step one is already taken care of. I feel there will be a lot of purging. I'm ready to be ruthless! This article: Count down to less clutter looks like it will be helpful. Then once that's done, I can make crafty and sweet embellishments for my new home! yay!

5. Take care of myself.
This sounds vague, but it encompasses a lot of specific changes that I want to make, from drinking more water to getting allergy injections. Boy got them last year and according to the latest tests, he's no longer allergic to the cat! That makes me so excited! Perhaps one day I won't be, either!

6. Fill this art journal.
(The art journal that I'd written these resolutions in, that is.) I enjoy working with my art journal so much, and I can see myself continuing with it in the long term. My art desk has become a bit messy again, so I'll have to sort that out, but I'm feeling really good about this one. [Later:] I've just discovered a new forum about art journaling which looks very promising!

7. Submit a zine to Sticky Institute.
Sticky is a zine shop in the city. The possibility of selling zines through them has been something I've been aware of for a while. I always thought, "perhaps one day!" I've written 9 zines now. Surely with my bright, new-found attitude I can convince myself that at least one of them is worthy to submit.

8. Learn an e-publishing program.
I like the idea of trying out free or low-cost e-zines - they're the way of the future, don't you know! Traditional photocopied zines are wonderful, but I'd love to produce something with as much colour as I like without worrying about printing costs, etc. I've also thought of scanning a few of my extensive collection of vintage craft patterns and offering them in my Etsy shop. It would be good to make something snazzy for the consumptive public.

So there it is! Feeling good! Let's craft!

No comments:

Post a Comment