Sunday 13 February 2011

In The Kitchen, Special Edition: SPAM!

Recently, I've started receiving spam comments on my blog. They're mostly ads for what seem to be dating sites or online training courses. I'm not 100% sure, because they're in Russian. Google translate is good, but you can never be completely sure. [Note: this passage refers to my Livejournal blog, where this post was originally hosted.]

I don't know if I've been bestowed this honour because I've reached a certain number of readers, or just because my blog has been around a long time. Either way, I've decided to take the bull by the horns and make lemonade. Or Spam, to be more precise.

I declared a Weekend of Spam! A Spam-aganza!

I went out and bought 3 cans of Spam for 3 meals. All varieties just happened to be on sale at my local supermarket. The only varieties I could get were these ones:


But they were more than suitable for my needs.
On Friday night, Boy and I made Pita Pizzas with sticks of Hot & Spicy Spam for the meat. Sometimes when a food is advertised as 'hot' and/or 'spicy', it ends up tasting fairly lame. But this really had some kick to it. We used half of the can. The pizzas also had capsicum, red onion and a scattering of brie:


On Saturday morning, I made Eggs Spam-edict. I used the Spam with Real Bacon. It tasted quite bacony and had a certain, slightly chewy texture. I cut the slab of meat (or should that be 'meat'?) up into 4 large slices. Here it is sizzling away nicely in the pan. I used garlic butter to give it some extra flavour.


Here is the Spam with Real Bacon assembled on the muffins with the eggs. Boy and I like our hollandaise sauce! Needless to say, we didn't really eat much for the rest of the day.


On Sunday, Boy and I had Spam Lite for lunch. See how it glistens appealingly on the board after it has slid with an satisfying slurp from the can?


I wanted to make Spam Musubi (the Hawai'ian favourite). I've never made shaped rice by hand before, so I think I did pretty well. Boy made some handrolls as well with Spam cut into sticks, and eggroll that he had made. We had a couple of rounds of rice paper in the cupboard, so I turned the meal into a smorgasbord by cooking up some noodles and making Spam Paper Rolls. I'm glad I reserved the Spam Lite for this meal, as it gave the food a fresher feel. We used up about 3/4 of the can making this Asio-Pacific Spam-tacular for Two.


Even the cat loves Spam! (We made sure only to give her some of the Lite version). Actually, I think we've created an addict. She wouldn't leave us alone the whole time we were in the kitchen. Oops.


Tonight we'll be having the left-over Hot & Spicy Spam on another round of Pita Pizzas, as we wave goodbye to our 3-day Exploration of Spam. One thing is for sure, I won't be eating Spam again for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment