Wednesday 30 August 2017

Happy Melbourne Day!


Today is Melbourne Day. 182 years ago today, the city of Melbourne was founded.


This year Melbourne has again been chosen as the world's most liveable city, and I'm proud! Sure, it's not perfect: gentrification of the inner suburbs is squeezing out cultural and artistic individuality, and high house prices have led to increasing urban sprawl. As sad as it is, that's happening in most places. On the other hand, the crime rate is relatively low and public transport has vastly improved recently. I've written here about why I personally love Melbourne (though I haven't gotten around to writing that elusive Part 2 yet!).


Unlike many people who can't wait to move away from the place they were born, or wander from place to place never feeling like they fit in, I'm extremely lucky to be living in my home: the place where I belong.

Happy birthday, Melbourne!




2 comments:

  1. Aww, happy belated Melbourne Day! I wish my hometown were that awesome :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I'm sure there are gems in the place you live, too.

      Delete