Sunday 22 April 2012

DIY Hair Detangler Spray

Earlier in the week, I finished up my Davroe Tame Lemongrass Detangler Spray that I received in my February LustHaveIt Beauty Box. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well the product worked, but at RRP $21.50 for the full-size 315ml bottle, unfortunately I can't afford to be using it all the time. It got me to thinking though, surely all it needs is something that will make your hair slippery? When I found out how easy it was to make your own at home, I was especially determined to give it a go myself.

The main tutorial I used was Let's Make It Up's YouTube video (no longer available). (I have a short attention span so I chose the shortest vid, but it turned out to be a good one.) The other tutorials around the intertubes were generally in agreement - all you really need is hair conditioner and water.
That's it!

Let's Make It Up added an argan oil serum as well, but seeing as I only use the detangler right before I wash my hair, I think it would be a waste for me. So here are my ingredients:



☀ an Avon 2-in-1 shampoo which I found in the back of the cupboard, which I'll probably never use to actually wash my hair
☀ warm water
☀ petitgrain essential oil to give it a nice oriental scent
☀ the old Davroe bottle to mix/store it in.

So, I just put about 1/2 teaspoon of shampoo in the bottle, 2 drops of essential oil and filled it almost to the top with warm water. Then I screwed the spray top back on and shook well.

I tried to take a picture of the finished product, but it just looked like slightly cloudy water:


I'm sure you get the gist anyway. Now, to test it out! On the left is my hair, after using a sea salt spray on it (the De Lorenzo spray I got in my LustHaveIt box yesterday), going to a party and then sleeping on it all night. Tangled and horrid! On the right is my hair after using the detangling spray and brushing it out.


Above: before. Below: after detangling spray and brushing.

Quite a difference! The spray makes brushing my hair much easier and less painful. I would say that it works just as well as the purchased brand. The only problem is - I used 1/4 of the whole bottle in just one application! (It's only a 50ml bottle.) I think I'll use a larger one next time I make this!

Packaging: n/a
Price: 5/5
Effectiveness: 4.5/5
Overall rating: 5/5

MAKE AGAIN?: Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment