Monday 1 February 2016

My January

My biggest news is -- in case no-one has noticed the hints I've dropped over the last month -- I've quit my job. I won't go into why: I want to focus on taking some time for myself and deciding what to do next, not on the past. So the first three weeks of January were a hectic time of handovers and clearouts, while the last week has been a complete contrast, adjusting to being at home. It's been many years since I had so much free time, and it's a little overwhelming. So many things I want to do!

500km Walking Challenge Update
KMs walked January: 28.4 This year: 28.4
% to go: 94.5%
I didn't get off to the best start, but I have more time now, and I'm sure my endurance will improve over the course of the year. I've been enjoying some other forms of exercise as well, like dancing, which has been fun.

What I've been painting ...
Yesterday I was thinking more on the theme of dedication. I've been dissatisfied for a long time about the lack of creative activities in my life. When was the last time I finished something? Had an idea? Or even worked on a project? I don't know. Even when I've taken time off work to give myself some space and time to welcome inspiration in, it still didn't come. ... Or playing The Sims seemed more appealing ... Now, even with plenty of spare time on my hands, still, nothing. I'm starting to feel like I need to push myself, to change the way I do things. To dedicate myself. That's why yesterday I decided to do Creative 365. And I started off bravely, with painting more faces!



To me, being creative covers many different activities -- painting, drawing, crocheting and knitting, embroidery and weaving crafts, writing, even cooking with a new recipe. Perhaps gardening? And writing blog posts, of course!

What I've been harvesting ...
We had so much fruit from our trees this year, it's incredible! This is only about half of the nectarine harvest. I didn't have enough jars to make more jam, so I just stewed them and froze them in containers. I need to plan ahead next year!



What I've been trying out...
I downloaded an app called Insight Timer for meditation. It includes a timer mode (with a selection of gentle noises to end the countdown), as well as over 700 guided meditations. The statistics section tracks various stats, which I like. I have tried it a couple of times and found it very useful. I used to instantly go into a tailspin of I can't do that! on just hearing the word meditation. Now I'm to looking forward to my next session!


What else I've been doing ...
Trying to get some half-decent photos of Sharick to show off to family and friends. He's the absolute centre of our household already. He has the eating habits of a Hobbit (well, he would if we let him!) and he's completely obsessed with the laser pointer. And very handsome, don't you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment