Thursday 14 December 2017

101 Things in 1,001 Days Update

My first 101 Things in 1,001 Days cycle ends on 14th June 2018, which is in 183 days. (I'm calling it a cycle because I'm definitely sure I'll do it again!) So how am I going, as the finish line appears in the distance?

FINISHED

Since my last update, I finished a few of the points on the list. I re-read the Harry Potter series. It took quite a long time as I'm a slow reader and don't have much time to read anymore, either. It brought up quite a few memories and feelings in me, and I wrote a blog post to commemmorate it.


I fulfilled my goal of buying a photo printer, so I can use real photos in my diary and art. Husband gave me a Popo printer, and I reviewed it here.


Another goal was to meditate 20 times. I honestly didn't think I was going to achieve this, until I had to meditate and write about my experiences for school. I struggled at first, but now I've become more open to it and am starting to feel the benefits. And yes, I did meditate 20 times ... for myself too, not just for class! I also achieved my goal of writing 20 reviews for the blog. (Or should I say 'blogs', now that I've started a second one.) This was pretty easy and quite fun, so I might add it to my next list and perhaps even increase the number.


IN PROGRESS

I originally had a goal to read 10 biographies, amongst a few other reading-related goals. I'm pretty sure I won't get through all of them, but I'd like to read at least one biography over the end-of-year holidays. I was lucky enough to pick up some free books from the library I study in at lunchtimes, and one of them was a biography of Charles Dickens by Peter Ackroyd. I started it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far.


Another goal was: "do yoga 3 times a week until it becomes a habit". This is something I've failed miserably at so far. Perhaps it's because the "until it becomes a habit" bit was too vague? Or perhaps I have some kind of mental block like I did with meditation? I'm not even sure it should come under the 'In Progress' section at all, to be honest.

I also vowed to create 12 paintings on canvas. This one is coming along very well, I'm pleased to say -- I only have 2 to go. I have around 6 paintings that I'm working on at the moment, so I'm confident I'll finish this one over the holidays.




DOING SOON

Number 14 on my list is "add a new holiday to my calendar every year and celebrate it". After searching for some time and not coming up with anything that seemed quite right, I finally found out about a new (to me!) holiday just a few days ago. It's called "Jólabókaflóð, it comes from Iceland and it's celebrated on Christmas Eve. I'm looking forward to celebrating it, and to writing a separate blog post about it. (If you're too curious to wait, you can follow the link and read about it on Wikipedia.)


There's also number 71: "take better/easier photos for the blog". Some of the things involved in this might be: having a range of fabric backdrops in different colours, a collection of interesting props, having more natural lighting instead of everything coming out yellow (you'll know what I mean if you've seen some of my recent posts!). I'd also really like to have a dedicated spot in the house which is permanently set up to take photos of small items, oracle cards, dolls, etc. It's especially difficult to take photos in Winter when the light is bad, and this hampers my blogging. Hopefully having a proper set-up will go a long way to solving this problem. In part, I'm motivated by the gorgeous shots I always see on Instagram, but it also comes from an aesthetic sense that I'd like to improve my photography skills.

Finally, over the end-of-year holidays I'd like to do some things with food. I have most of the equipment I need to make cheese, and to make mead. If it's not too hot to bake, I could experiment with making some gluten-free versions of Christmas favourites that I remember from my childhood. Or it might be the perfect time to have a movie and food marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment