Thursday 7 June 2007

Meh.

I'm a bit short on blogging mojo today, but I wanted to post a quick update on what I've been doing anyway. I've been experimenting with the mitred squares AKA Magic Squares) from the No Pattern Knitting book I got from the library. Here are some of the swatches:


It was interesting to see how the squares formed and how the different ways of making them ended up with different effects down the middle. I also tried making 4 smaller ones attached together, each one growing out of the next (still in the making at the top of the pic). I want to try and make some of them into sachets or mini pillows so they aren't a complete waste of time. I have nearly finished one, I just need to dig out the stuffing from the back of the wardrobe. I didn't take a picture of it cause it's a bit ugly and I'm kinda ashamed.

I also went through my project cupboard on the weekend and found these there:




Above is a scarf that I made a couple of years ago. I didn't really like how it turned out and re-made it in different yarn, but didn't have the heart to rip it up. So I stuffed it into the back of the cupboard. I thought about threading some ribbons through it to spruce it up a bit, but never got around to it. I don't really need any more scarves anyway, so I don't know what I'll do with it.

Below is a project I started as a present for a friend 2 years ago. She never received it, obviously. It's a set of 3 facewashers in the shape of flowers. The first one is finished except for the weaving in, and the second one is about half finished. I am putting it in the On Hold section of my WIPs list, cause I've decided I want to finish it one day. Which day, I cannot say at the moment.

I also started a new Baby Vest, but I haven't even finished the cast on row, so it's hardly worth taking a picture of yet.

The most exciting development, however, is this:


I finally got up the guts to do something about the Chunky Cardigan! I had been agonising over what to do with it. Should I finish it as the instructions say and make a standard cardigan, or should I modify it and make a 60's extravaganza? I bought a button from a closing-down wool shop in the city about a year ago that would be suitable, and I thought if I could find it, it would be a sign that Chunky should become Go-Go. I found it pretty quickly in my sewing box. So be it.

The sleeves were still on the needles, so I bound them off with about 6 rows of garter stitch to create a moderately stiff border at just below elbow length (as judged by holding them up against my shoulder. Hopefully that method works!) A few days later, I sewed the shoulders together [shown above]. I was so excited that I put it on. No pics of that, I looked pretty silly.
I haven't done anything else on it yet. I was getting a bit tired and wanted to continue when I was fresher and less tired. Actually, I'm too scared. Perhaps next week.

*procrastinates*

No comments:

Post a Comment