Friday 11 January 2008

Peeking out...

Peeking out from the rock that I've been hiding under...

Yesterday I was surfing around on Ravelry. I had just entered some new wool that I'd bought (not worth writing home about) and I thought I'd see what projects there were out there using that wool. One of them was made by a user whose name I recognised, because they're also a seller that I have on my favourites list on Etsy (partly cause I really like their stuff, and partly cause they live in Melbourne). I had a look at their profile on Ravelry, and they have a blog. So I looked at the blog, and lo and behold! There was an ad on it for a Melbourne Craft Mafia Market!! I didn't think they had such things in Australia! I'm such a dumbass. Not only that, but it was held at the bar right next door to where Boy and I always go for dumplings!

And it was held last Monday night! Aiieeeee!!

Then later on when I was in bed, I suddenly realised that Boy and I had gone for dumplings last Monday night!! If only we'd walked there from the other direction, I would have seen it! But I figure it's a sign that I'll get even closer next time. It's held the first Monday of every month. So that's ok. I'm so excited! I'm gonna go! And I might just have the guts to mention that I have an Etsy shop. I even thought of making up business cards. That's a bit too scary for me right now though.
Though I did look up some pricing before.
Don't tell anyone.

Last week, my work colleagues found out about my shop. Well, I told them. It came up in conversation when we were talking about Flickr accounts. Part of me felt like I should tell them, tell as many people as possible, dammit! The other part of me was really embarrassed when they praised the shop and what I'd made. But I'll get over that. I'm determined.

My art journal entry for this week is from the Inspire Me Thursday website, and it's on the theme of The Best Thing I Did in 2007. This was learning to drive and buying a car! Hands down! Getting my Ps has given me so much confidence. If you'd said to me 2 years ago that I'd be in this position, I wouldn't have believed you. But here I am with my beautiful Tara and freedom! So I did a journal entry that reflected travelling and freedom:

I'm going to refrain from any comments about whether I think it's good or bad. See! I'm improving already!

And!
I discovered something else wonderful this morning, that I heard about on the Craftypod podcast. It's Swap-Bot!

Oh

My

God.

I am completely addicted to this site. I signed up to 14 swaps already today. Um, oops, actually.
How it works is that you join up and browse or search for swaps that interest you. When you commit to a swap, the site randomly allocated you another signee, and you send whatever it is to them. It can be anything from postcards to books to stories to toys to artworks to make-up to a tea bag and a magazine. As simple as sending one postcard to one person to as complicated as making artworks to send to 5 or more people. Your choice. BUT. The cool thing is that you get exactly the same back! There's a rating system to keep people honest and once you've participated in enough, you can make up and host your own. A lot of the people on there seem to be crafty (you can list your Etsy shop on your profile!) which is right up my alley. Many of them present particular challenges or inspirations, such as Write a story about how you would escape a zombie infestation.

The Internet has just thrown up some real gems for me in the last few days! I'm feeling really excited and ready to create lots of stuff. Sometimes I'm a bit lost as to what to do in all the choices out there though! I need some kind of Twister spinner, with different crafts on it. *brain goes bing!*

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment