Wednesday 28 July 2004

Decisions, decisions...

*sighs*

All the authors of the American blogs I read (even the Swedish one!) seem to be away on holiday at the moment. I'm so jealous! Anyway, I've decided that the Knitting Goddess is right: ponchos are ugly. According to The Mighty Boosh, "It's impossible to be unhappy in a poncho", but I don't think they've ever tried knitting one! (I love that show!)

So I'm going to rip mine. Not the finished one that I never wear, but the half-made one that I haven't touched since last winter. The one I've never mentioned because I've become so disillusioned with it. It seems I don't learn from my mistakes. Just because you design something and you are really proud of the design and you think it would look great on somebody, doesn't mean you have to go ahead and spend six months of your life making it. Besides, it was getting way out of hand. I had to put half of it on holders because there were just too many stitches to fit on the needles, even when I squished them up cruelly. After doing a few rows that way and realising how much longer it would take, that was the point where I decided to give it a rest for a while and see how I felt about it in a few weeks. A few months later I looked at it again and didn't even complete one stitch. Six months later (!) I've been spurred into action. Well, not actual action, but deciding to do something, which for those of you who know me, is a momentous event. I'm almost even excited about it, because I'll have more than enough wool to make a natty vest. Won't that be great?

Speaking of ripping, remember the Jumper From Hell? Well, here is the finished result:


Before Dying*: Yes, that is the amount of wool used to make a (crazily large) jumper. So much work, and so little to show for it. O, the humanity!


After Dying*: Much prettier. Not all of the skeins would fit in the pot, so two of them are still pink. You never know when I might need them. Dyeing the wool had a really interesting effect on it. It's thinner, and the texture is now much more harsh and cottony. I've used it to make a test piece for designing some Hand Covers. (More on those at a later date.)

* By the way, I know how to spell 'dyeing.' I'm just easily amused. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment