Monday 21 May 2007

Bad, bad girl!

I had a pretty crappy day today, so as a treat I bought myself this:


It had some moderately amazing patterns in it. I was particularly attracted to the lacy tops. But reality didn't kick in until I got home - can I really wear a white top full of holes to work? I don't think so! Yeah, I could wear another top under it, but that would involve spending money on it and making sure it's clean, etc. I have a few tops like that, and they're a bit of a pain in the arse. I am looking for the perfect top pattern:

* no lace
* short sleeve or tank
* not too hot
* fairly large gauge so it doesn't take forever
* not too low-cut or high-cut
* no halternecks
* made for a pear-shaped body (there seem to be a proliferation of tops designed for booby women right now!)
* not totally fugly (I'm really liking that word right now)

The quest continues.

More worryingly, I bought more wool yesterday! D'oh! And to make it worse, it was gross, cheap acrylic and all! I'm so ashamed of myself, I couldn't even be bothered getting it out of the bag:

Stash of shame

One of the balls was for a pair of socks (fairly optimistic, considering I haven't even started my first pair yet!), the rest... meh, I'll think of something. Maybe.

This obsessive act has moved me to establish my own 'yarn diet' pact in desperation. Not only am I trying to save up to travel, but I'm seriously running out of room. So here are the rules I have written up. Wish me luck!


KATIE'S KNITTING DIET, WINTER 2007

CLAUSE 1 - YARN

1. The 'knitting diet' will last from 20th May 2007 to 20th August 2007 (3 months).

2. I will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:
A. I may buy yarn for a specific gift for a specific occasion, only if I truly do no have enough suitable yarn already.
B. If I am already knitting a project and run out of yarn, I can buy just enough yarn to finish that project.
C. I may purchase yarn if the price is unbelievably good - i.e. 50% off or more, AND if I can think of a specific and realistic project for it.

3. NO acrylic under any circumstances!

4. I am allowed to accept gifts of yarn.

5. I may NOT look at the knitting yarn section of Ebay under any circumstances.


CLAUSE 2 - PATTERNS

1. See point 1 above.

2. I will not buy any pattern books, leaflets or magazines, except for once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. However, they MUST be patterns that I may realistically knit projects from.

3. I may borrow books from the library and photocopy them.

4. I must make every effort to fully catalogue my pattern collection during the stated time.

5. See point 5 above.

ADDENDUM: I may make a wishlist of 5 books and 5 projects, and I may purchase ONE (1) of each after the diet period is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment