Sunday 6 May 2007

Wow .. I Finished Stuff!

A Knitting Miracle has occurred - I have finished 3 projects in 2 days! One of them was really hard, too!

Firstly, I finished the Craziest Lil' Coathanger in the World:


It was the first project I started after I finished the Babe Sweater, which was very fiddly and very white. I just wanted to go nuts! It was also a good chance to experiment with what would happen if I changed colour or changed from stockingette to garter stitch or vice versa, and what kind of effects I could get from that. It was pretty fun. I decided that it finishing it would be less annoying if I just left all the loose ends hanging, and added some fringing at the end to make it look like I did it on purpose. I really like it! I don't wanna put clothes on it!

Secondly, I finished the Urban Greenery series of coathanger covers:


I started them in June last year, but there's a very good reason why I took so long to finish them. It was the one with the black ribbon and the points that troubled me so much. I'll show you why:


Do you see any points in this picture?? I think not! I had forgotten that, with stockingette stitch, the edges usually curl up, and this effect would be even worse with a lacy edging! I don't know what I was thinking, cause I must have decided that I was too far into the piece by the time I'd noticed this to rip it out and start again. I must have thought I'd find a simple, easy way of fixing it after the knitting was finished. No such luck I'm afraid. Blocking it didn't work. (It's acrylic, duh!) Attaching a piece of ribbon to the back of each piece didn't work. Poking a piece of wire down the centre back of each one didn't work. Finally I resorted to this:


Sorry the picture isn't so good (neither is my camera) but it shows a long piece of copper wire (which thankfully I had left over from a failed macrame project) which is bent to follow the 'correct' edge, and sewed in place with black sewing thread. Yes, this was a massive pain in the arse! This is the sole reason why the trio of coathangers was left unfinished for 11 months. But today, I sucked it up. I finished it! *wipes brow* Now, it only leans back slightly wierdly all along its length. And you can only look at it from one side without crying. But I guess that won't matter when it has a cardigan over it!

Thirdly, I finished the B-Scarf, just in time for Bec's birthday! Yay! Boy helped me with the fringe. And with wrapping it. She seems to love it. She put it straight on and hasn't taken it off since. Yay!
[Sorry, I don't have a picture of this yet.]

I am sooooo ready to start some new things now!

No comments:

Post a Comment