Sunday 27 May 2007

Oh, the Shame!

I just did something very very naughty! I was looking around the blogosphere (for lack of a less well-used term) and I found KnitSimple magazine. It's put out by the same people that make Vogue Knitting, and it's apparently aimed for the knitter without much time (i.e. me) so it must be all right. (Well, it's more about instant gratification for me, actually, and a short attention span. But I digress).

I had seen this mag before at MagNation*, and it looked pretty good, but it cost $19.95. Which I totally balked at. I mean, I think charging $14.95 for VK is a bit steep, even though I bought it. So when I "accidentally" clicked on the subscribe button, just to compare the pricing, and saw that it was only $30 US for an international subscription (i.e. $9.16 AUD per issue), I "accidentally" entered my credit card details and pressed the confirm button. I really didn't mean to. But I've had so many frustrations when it comes to knitting magazines lately. Don't get me started on Creative Knitting! I'm just looking for something that is good and not disappointing. (Or too expensive.)

Yeah, I know, I keep wanging on about how everything is too expensive. I'm starting to think I should start calling myself The Pov Knitter. But I was brought up in a tradition that saw knitting as a way to make practical items and save money, and perhaps even make money. My Oma grew up during the Depression and World War II in Holland. She saw some pretty desperate times. The crafts she passed on to me were not supposed to be something that you spend all your money on. Sure, I sometimes spend a moderately large amount of money on wool or patterns, but the thrill of finding a bargain is all part of it too. To know I knit myself a scarf is amazing. But to know I knit it myself and it only cost $5 adds just that little bit of extra pride. Oma would be proud.**

Moving on, I have been looking at my list of patterns to use for Boy's Scarf, and not being able to decide. Then I thought, 'why not ask him what he wants?' So I showed him 3 photos from The Harmony Guide to Knitting Stitches. He chose the cable pattern. So now I'm on a hunt for a reversible cable pattern that I can modify for a scarf. Or even better, an actual scarf pattern. I only had one suitable pattern in my quite sizeable pattern collection, but I want a couple of options to present to him, so I'm currently trawling the net. Meanwhile, I'll leave you all with a nice random pic:

Lacy cap reminiscent of a testicle***




* Please don't misunderstand me. I think this shop is great. It has an amazing array of mags, great coffee, and a 'sit and drink coffee and copy out patterns for as long as you like' policy. And it's open til 10pm.

** Actually, that last sentence is an in-joke in my family when it comes to bargains. *sheepish grin*

*** Actually, I have to apologise about this. I found this picture when I did an image search with the words "knitting with balls" (it's a book, okee?) on google. I assumed there was some kind of reference to testicles, seeing as the hat was round and pink. Ahem. When I read the page, I found there was a separate reference to the book, and the hat had nothing to do with testicles at all. Ahem. *goes red* It's actually a really good blog called Pink Monkey Knits. It's really good, check it out.
... And, I actually want to make the hat myself! I've been looking for a lacy beanie pattern. Then I too, will be wearing a testicle on my head. I hope that will make up for the insult.

*stops now before any more damage is done*

No comments:

Post a Comment