Monday 3 January 2011

[ Reverb10 : Day 17 : Lesson Learned ]



Yesterday, I wrote 4 Reverb10 prompts all in one sitting. Yay, me!
However, I'll release them one at a time to prevent reader boredom.

Day 17. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

Mainly I'm just going to refer to the blog posts I wrote recently, 2010 In Review and Welcome to 2011. New Year is an important occasion for me. With the lack of any other significant occasions or rituals in my year, it has come to take on a deep meaning for me. The idea of transformation and renewal is appealing. So these are the kinds of thoughts I have at the end of the year anyway. Looking at my goals and actions for the last year, I can see a tendency to want to take on more than I can handle. Then I beat myself up when it doesn't happen. Now I think some more and be more honest with myself - that list of goals could really be completed in one year by the average person. No problems. So why wasn't it? My problem is actually with procrastination. It's a killer. A drainer. It saps your self confidence until you find that you're saying to yourself: "I can't do that. There's no point in starting because I won't finish it. I'll fail." As I see it at the moment, the key to overcoming my procrastination is to build self-confidence. How? By setting and completing small actions. I hope my change of approach for 2011 will facilitate this.

Geez, I sound like a productivity counsellor. It's making me sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment