Saturday 1 January 2011

Welcome to 2011!

Happy New Year Party Pixies, originally uploaded by hagerstenguy.

Happy New Year 2011!

Last post, I took a look at the last year, my goals and activities. I've also been thinking hard about more personal things. I realised that, just perhaps, I'm slowly getting better at being alive. The way I wanted to do things a year ago wasn't really working for me. So this year I've decided to do things a little differently and see if that works. Instead of over-arching yearly goals, I've decided on 4 themes. Each month I'll choose some activities that aligns with these themes. I can really see this working for me. I'll talk about the activities for January in a few days. For now, here are my 4 themes for 2011, in no particular order:


* CREATE

* MEDITATE

* MOVE

* DE-CLUTTER



Are you a sucker for punishment? Would you like to read all about how I came to this decision, with the help of a few dear friends? Then

Last night I had a discussion with my friend Miss E about many things, including my goals for 2010 and why I may/may not have achieved them. It was quite enlightening. In response to that, this year I want to adjust the way I do things a little. I'm going to take little steps. No more over-stretching myself. No more thinking that I always have to be doing something, no matter what it is. No more beating myself up when I don't do what I told myself I'm going to do - because I have a better idea what I'm actually capable of. And it's OK.

Ok, so less goals. 8 is really overwhelming. How about 4? One for every quarter. That sounds do-able. But there are so many things I want to do next year! It's all swimming around in my head and I'm starting to get really confused.

I decided to do a brainstorming session; I headed the page 'What I Want from 2011'. I came up with 12 items. Then re-wrote them with spaces in between, and brainstormed actions I could do to make those things happen. No matter how scary it sounded, it went on the list. Even if I wondered how I could possibly do it. I made sure that I used words that have positive associations for me. For example, instead of "sticking to" a plan, I put "fulfilling". Instead of writing "set myself tasks", I put "choose some activities". Words are important. You'd be surprised. By the end of it, I had a huge amount of tasks to do and I was even more confused than before!

I mentioned what I was doing in an email chat with B, and how confused and frustrated I was getting. What she had to say was very enlightening. It doesn't have to be hard and complicated. I was working myself up into a tizzy, trying to bite off more than I can chew again. Harmony and happiness stems from simplicity. So I had another look at my list of actions, and I realised that a few times, I'd listed the same action under different goals. Also, that some of the goals were actually quite similar, and if I worked on one, then I'd be working on the others automatically. For example, "to be confident" and "to be happy". So I grouped them together. Eventually, four main themes emerged. I pared everything back, even reducing my former 'goals' to one-word themes. Everything else can come later. I'd like to review once a month, setting new actions to work towards my goals/themes (I'm still working out the words I want to use!). Part of me wants to do Everything, NOW!! But patience is another thing I need to learn. Some things will just have to wait until next year.

I took a break from all this thinking to listen to one of my favourite songs earlier on, and this phrase popped into my head:

Trust the Universe. It will bring you what you need.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment