Friday 24 December 2010

[ Reverb10 : Day 16 : Friendship ]

Day 16. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?

I didn't make any new friends this year, but I've become closer to someone I've known for a while. B has shown me many things. When she shaved her head for charity, she showed me that there are much more important things than what you look like or what other people think of you. Not only did she get used to the change, but she embraced it, declaring that she'd rather have short hair and wasn't going to grow it back.

When she was in a car accident which totalled her car, she showed such physical and emotional bravery that I was overwhelmed. She must have been feeling terrified and shaken up inside. Her words though, were so wise - "the car doesn't mater. All that matters is that I'm still here."

When her flat was flooded - twice - she was philosophical about it. It's happened, there's nothing we can do about it. The books can be re-bought. Lucky the Christmas presents were in a box. Her shining of light on negative situations reminded me how much happier life is when we have a positive attitude.

When she decided that she needed a new job, she went out and got one. And her new employers love her. To me - I choke completely in interviews - this seems miraculous. But if my friend can do it, then perhaps I can, too. B is a dear friend and she has shown me that a person can be happy and bouncy through adversity. A person can be successful despite setbacks. She has shown me that we can be bold and daring - and happy - through everything that life dishes out to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment